G. A. Lloyd AO OBE MiD, nationally and internationally called Peter Lloyd, became President of Safeskies when, due to blindness, could no longer continue to chair Board Meetings. Mr David Forsyth AM was an excellent Board Chairman replacement, supported by two Deputy Chairmen. As President, Peter Lloyd continues to be the chief negotiator, as in the past, for Safeskies. Two noteworthy matters are that, although already a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, he was accorded the signal honour of being an Honorary Life Member; the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators, of which he is a Liveryman with the Freedom of the City of London, by resolution of its court accorded him the signal honour of a special letter of commendation to the service of aviation, signed by the Grand Master, HRH the Prince Andrew. As part of his service, Peter Lloyd was Chairman for a period of the Australian regional branch of GAPAN. The Guild covers all aspects of aviation.
As his activities have been significant in the interests of air sport in Australia, he has been awarded the Australian Sport Aviation Confederation Inaugural Gold Medal. He has been President of the Federation Aeronautique Internationale of 130 nations and now its President of Honour. In his 94th year, his energy is unabated, despite the frustration of no longer being able to fly nor drive. The following two schedules set out various decorations and awards, of which the greatest is as an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO), awarded for services to international affairs and aviation.
During his long career in business and aviation as Chairman or CEO of a number of Public and Private Companies. Of note in this context, the helicopter business, of which he was co-founder on his retirement, operating 89 helicopters, employing some 120 pilots; the Motor Industry, in which he was involved, at some time, also ran a fleet of 600 vehicles.
He remains proud of the fact that he was a fighting soldier in the Australian Imperial Force in both the Middle East, New Guinea and Papua New Guinea and was decorated for bravery.
Educated Shore School, Sydney, Sydney University (post WWII). Held Fellowships, Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, Australian Institute of Management and several others.
Pilot 11,000 hours, qualified gas balloonist, parachutist and some experience gliding. Last sky dive, 90th birthday present from Australian Parachute Federation.
His enthusiasm for Safeskies, as a great Australian contribution to world air safety, remains unabated, despite being in his 94th year and blind.
- AO – Officer of the Order of Australia – Services to International Affairs and Aviation
- OBE – Officer of the Order of the British Empire –Service to Aviation and the Motor Industry
- MiD – Mention in Dispatches WWII – Decoration for bravery as a Soldier
- Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal
- Australian Sport Medal 2000
- Yuri Gagarin Medal – Russia – Services to aeronautics and cosmonautics and the cause of World peace
- Order of Svazam (1st Class) Czechoslovakia – Services to Aviation and the cause of World peace through Air Sport without fear or favour for Nationality, Colour, Race or Creed
- World War II – 1939-45 Star; Africa Star; and Pacific Star – plus Service Medals
- World Gold Air Medal – the World’s highest aviation award
- Oswald Watt Gold Air Medal – Australia’s highest aviation award
- FAI Bronze Medal – Service to International Aviation
- Paul Tissandier Diplome – Services to Aviation and Air Sport
- Patron’s Life Time Achievement Award – Aviation Safety Foundation of Australasia
- FAI – Grand Master’s Commendation for outstanding Aviation achievement signed by HRH Prince Andrew
- Australian Gold Air Sport Medal (Inaugural Medal – 2010)
- Presented in Sydney, on behalf of President Ronald Reagan, by USA Major General Clifton Von Kann – a White House Flown USA Ensign
- Life Member – Australian Parachute Federation
- Honorary Life Member of Aero Clubs; Nationally and Internationally
- Inducted Member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame
- Medal of the Royal Federation of Aero Clubs of Australia – Services to Aviation
- President Emeritus – Safeskies Australia Conferences Incorporated
- Honorary Governor – Australian Sports Aviation Confederation
- President of Honour – FAI
- Companion d’Honneur de la FAI
- Honorary Life Member, Recreational Aviation Australia (RA AUS) – Australia’s Ultra Light Aircraft governing body, (the first Honorary Life Member)